COVID hospitalizations dip slightly in New Mexico

Copyright © 2021 Albuquerque Journal

SANTA FE – New Mexico reported 2,510 new cases of COVID-19 over the past four days and 10 more deaths.

The number of people hospitalized for the disease – 388 on Tuesday – was slightly below last week’s figures.

The nearly steady hospitalization number comes as New Mexico health care leaders say they face full hospitals amid the late-summer spike in COVID-19 infections.

The Department of Health reported Tuesday that:

• 68.3% of New Mexico adults have completed their vaccine series, and 78.2% have had at least one shot.

• 10 more people have died of COVID-19, including two from Bernalillo County, pushing the statewide death toll to 4,562. People who weren’t fully vaccinated have accounted for 93.3% of the deaths over the past four weeks.

• There were 2,510 new cases, including 709 in Bernalillo County. People who weren’t fully vaccinated have accounted for 82.3% of the cases over the last four weeks.

• 388 patients were hospitalized for COVID-19, a decline of 2% since Friday.

Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham on Tuesday traveled to McKinley County – one of the hardest-hit regions in the country when the pandemic arrived last year – to talk to local leaders about strategies for improving access to primary care, behavioral health treatment and similar services.

In a written statement, she noted that McKinley County – which includes part of the Navajo Nation – has the second-highest vaccination rate in New Mexico, with 82.7% of eligible residents having completed their vaccine series. Los Alamos is first, with 87.3% fully vaccinated.

“McKinley County has been a shining light in our state’s efforts to vaccinate New Mexicans against COVID-19,” Lujan Grisham said in a written statement. “I’m so grateful for that ongoing hard work, and I want residents here to know the state will explore every avenue for health care investments.”

Source


COVID-19 deaths classification becomes a hot topic with lawmakers

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KAIT) – The Arkansas House and Senate Public Health Committee addressed the current surge in COVID-19 cases and what officials are doing to protect kids in schools.

One of the topics Tuesday afternoon focused on how to label COVID-19 related deaths among the unvaccinated.

One senator hammered the committee, claiming there could be underlying health issues among the unvaccinated, besides COVID-19.

However, Joe Thompson with the Arkansas Center for Health Improvement defended the research.

He said roughly 90 percent of recent COVID patients die because they’re unvaccinated and that there’s more to it.

“We are looking at the ultimate outcome, which is death,” Thompson said. “There’s no variants on death, you’re dead or alive. The issues that you described could be happening in the other ten percent. Variation of treatment, individuals with an immune system that may not have taken the vaccine, other issues where breakthrough infections do occur and treatments would not be optimal.”

Copyright 2021 KAIT. All rights reserved.

Source


For second straight week, Dare reports 259 cases

By on September 7, 2021

The Dare County Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) reported today that there were 259 cases of COVID-19 from Aug. 30-Sept. 5 — the exact number of cases reported from Aug. 23-29 and virtually the same as the 257 cases reported from Aug. 16-22.

The new DHHS report (link to full report here), released on Sept. 7, also reported that there are currently 174 active COVID-19 cases among county residents, with 18 residents and 5 non-residents currently hospitalized with the virus. An additional 17 residents have succumbed to COVID since the beginning of the pandemic.

The percentage of all COVID-19 tests in the county that came back positive last week was still a very high 17.4%, but it is down a bit from the 19.1% mark in the previous week.

Of the 259 cases from Aug. 30-Sept. 5, 46 (or 18%) were breakthrough cases involving the fully vaccinated, meaning that 82% of those infected were not vaccinated or not fully vaccinated. That is very close to the percentage of breakthrough cases the DHHS has reported (19%) since the first such case was reported here in April.

The percentage of Dare County residents who have received at least one dose of COVID-19 vaccine is currently 69%, while 64% of eligible county residents are fully vaccinated, according to the Sept. 7 update.

In terms of booster shots, the DHHS said it anticipates administering third shots to those who have received two doses of Moderna or Pfizer vaccines at least eight months earlier at vaccine clinics scheduled in September, October and November. There will be more information available next week on registering for those clinics.

The DHHS is also tracking the number of students and staff in the Dare County Schools who have contracted COVID or are in quarantine. The current number is 77 active cases and 482 in quarantine among the students. Among staff, there are 9 active cases with 6 in quarantine.



Source


Northern Health sees 312 new COVID-19 cases, 12 more at Jubilee Lodge

There were 312 new COVID-19 cases in Northern Health over the long weekend and there are now 703 active cases in the region.

There are currently 29 people hospitalized in the region with 15 currently in critical care.

There’s also been an outbreak at long-term care home Jubilee Lodge in Prince George, which was declared on Sept. 5. where initially six patients and one employee tested positive.

Officials are now reporting 12 additional cases for a total of 18 residents, two of which have been epi-linked, and one staff who have tested positive for COVID-19.

Northern Health has said enhanced outbreak control measures are in effect at Jubilee Lodge and public health is closely monitoring for additional cases.

Provincially, there have been  2,425 new cases of COVID-19 over a four-day period:

  • Sept. 3-4: 695 new cases
  • Sept. 4-5: 634 new cases
  • Sept. 5-6: 563 new cases
  •  Sept. 6-7: 533 new cases

There are 5,465 active cases of COVID-19 in the province and 255 individuals are in hospital and 126 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.

The province also saw 15 new deaths over the past four days, none of which occurred in Northern Health.

As of today, 2021, 85.1 per cent or 3,943,729 of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 77.6 per cent 3,594,929 received their second dose.

In addition, 85.7 per cent or 3,706,533 of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose and 78.5 per cent or 3,394,910 received their second dose.

The province also released further details on how B.C. Vaccine Card system will work when it rolls out on Sept. 13.

To apply visit http://gov.bc.ca/vaccinecard. Entering a personal health number, date of birth and date of either the user’s first or second COVID-19 vaccine dose. Then save digital version to mobile device or print off paper copy from website.

If one does not have computer or internet access, call 1-833-838-2323 to get a paper copy mailed.

Source


By HitNews